For many people masturbation is the first sexual activity. Through it people get to discover their erotic feelings and learn not to be ashamed of them nor of their genitals.
Masturbation is the best way to get in touch with sex and to loose old fears and inhibitions. Itís a way to gain confidence and be able to communicate fearlessly with a lover. Masturbation has many positive aspects helping the ones who practice it, since it provides sexual satisfaction for people who canít find a partner; it works as solution for adolescents with sexual irrepressible anxieties and helps to prevent undesired pregnancy. Also, itís a good relief for separated people as well as for couples, whenever one of them is ill or not in the mood for love making, or unable to reach orgasm by means of penetration.
Is masturbation meant only for men? Single or in group, slowly or quickly; in one position or another, the fact is that boys masturbate. But what about girls? Masturbation has always been considered a manís business. Nowadays, things have changed. What harm could possibly be inflicted to a woman from pleasing herself? None. Nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to feel guilty about. Masturbation should be considered something so natural, something fundamental that makes part of our lives just like eating or sleeping. There are many reasons for self-satisfaction. It is basically liberating, amusing and healthy, very healthy (even World Health Organization praises its virtues). Other reasons to masturbate amidst many:
- To learn how to feel comfortable about yourself;
- To discover what youíre up to;
- This is so, because itís the best school;
- To sample on new trends (soon, if you wish, you will be doing it with someone else);
- Seeing that you donít have a partner;
- To increase your libido (sex attracts sex);
- When youíre nervous, stressed, it relaxes you;
- Hence those who practice it have a longer sex life;
- To strengthen your pelvic muscles;
- For it doesnít require anyone else as you can do it by yourself at any time convenient to you;
- Because itís appealing...
The first masturbation: It usually takes place from the late years of childhood to the beginnings of puberty. Although, it is still common to learn about masturbation from hearsay, many young people come across masturbation by sheer accident or by the trial and error method as practice of self-exploration. As far as women concern, some begin in the childhood, others inform to have begun the masturbation practice after their first sexual intercourse, imitating the genital caresses they received from their partners.
Functions of masturbation: During adolescence it is an important part of development, helping to identify patterns of excitement from the sexual response. It provides grounds for learning of sexual activity in a more laid back environment, since there is no need for a partner or further worries. A good identification of the sexual self-activation and its response helps when it comes to give the partner directions, which works as an improvement of the relationship. During a significant part of life, masturbation is good to ease off sexual tension and works as a good source of pleasure as well, specially when there are no available alternatives.
Masturbation as a way of experiencing sexuality: The practice of the sexuality demonstrates that masturbation is a way of experiencing it and its function is more relevant under particular circumstances, although its role is always important. Latinos, by and large, have already masturbated at some point of their lives. Men rather than women, manifest more frequency and addiction. Far from being a practice generally limited to adolescence and youth, it is a pleasant exercise that lasts for years. Youngsters however, are likely to masturbate more often than elderly.
Stimuli which work as a reason for satisfaction: These so called stimuli display various nature, seeing that they correspond to a practice that, theoretically, doesnít set limits to imagination. The stimuli of which most frequently people recall are those in which they put their imagination to the test. To fantasize demands some effort, which is always pleasant: to read erotic novels, to take a look at picture books or pornography, to watch erotic movies, to write an erotic story, mentally undress someone, to think of what would be pleasant to do to with a man or a woman, etc.
Excitation during masturbation: one of the characteristics of masturbation is that the person who performs it feels much more free to stimulate oneself in whatever way it pleases them, as well as to fantasize (to imagine situations and activities) during its accomplishment.
Myths about masturbation: Nowadays, itís known that masturbation is a normal and healthy human practice, a procedure that has no physical or psychological harmful effects at all. In addition, masturbation, when performed alone being 100% safe sex, as there is no risk of STDs, nor pregnancy. Another important aspect is that through masturbation one learns how to explore the body and sexuality, which may be of great help in terms of sexual interaction with a partner. Nevertheless, even with the current social changes of attitude, several myths about masturbation persist, sometimes representing worries to parents and even to the ones who practice it. Here, some myths about masturbation:
1. Masturbation causes physical damages: False. Masturbation is a normal and healthful act and DOES NOT cause acne, blindness, loss of hair, tuberculosis, paralysis, hairy hands, decrease in sexual drive, fertility reduction or penis enlargement. In conclusion, masturbation is no cause for any physical or psychological changes in the person who practices it;
2. Masturbation causes psychological damages: False. Masturbation is a normal and healthy practice that has NO relation to: madness, antisocial personality neither any other personality alterations nor in the mental health of those who masturbate;
3. Only people who have no sexual partner masturbate: False. It is not rare that partners masturbate each other, a practice that has become usual even among married people. Masturbation is just another form of sexual expression and to practice it doesnít mean that the ones who do it are not satisfied with their own sexual performance. In addition, masturbation helps the partner to recognize the necessary stimuli that provide orgasm, improving quality of the sexual relationship. When one person doesnít know what pleases oneself, how would expect the partner to know?
4. Masturbation is only practiced by young and immature people: False. Although it is certain that masturbation reaches its peak by the adolescence, this practice goes on through adulthood.
5. Only men masturbate: False. Studies made in different countries demonstrate that many men and women have practiced masturbation at some period of their life.
6. Masturbation in excess is harmful: False. There are no negative consequences whenever: ∑ masturbation does not persistently interferes with or replaces real sexual activity, that is to say, the person prefers to masturbate instead of having sex with another person, or if masturbation takes place after the sexual intercourse so as to make up for the lacking of satisfaction that should have come from this sexual intercourse - masturbation does not establish a vicious circle, obsession or compulsion in a way that the person feels that such a practice prevents oneself from accomplishing their responsibilities, so much so that induces one to put the daily routine aside in order to be able to masturbate or that interferes with oneís social activities. In conclusion, masturbation is just another form of sexual expression, a completely normal and healthy practice to any individual: a child, a youngster or grown up whether male or female.
Could masturbation be more pleasant than sexual intercourse? Such occurrence isnít rare. Most of the researches indicate that it is more usual for women, specially from a strictly physical point of view. Reasons there are some: masturbation enables a person to fantasize with calm and serenity, to know the bodyís own rhythm, to explore sensitivity without leaning on someone else... Not to masturbate consists on letting slip a superb opportunity to know someoneís own body thoroughly.
How does the masturbationís frequency affect someone? There is no scientific evidence that indicates that masturbation Ė even when frequent - involves any physical or psychic health damage. Masturbation is a legitimate alternative for the sexual expression and, in addition, can be very useful in terms of sexual future. The acquired knowledge about the body, the erotic sensibility, the fantasies that multiply pleasure, all of these may be transferred to future sexual intercourse.
Making love in solitude. A lonely ritual of love includes... a very sensual bath, the acceptance of the body, a massage, a genital exploration and a dance in front of the mirror to practice sexual movements. It finishes with orgasm in an imaginary erotic scene. Variations according to a particular taste are acceptable.
An example... "Lights, camera and action": In a chosen imaginary scenario and proper atmosphere, relax and take a deep breath. Say "I want you" with a husky voice. In such atmosphere, the slow motion takes control, so take your time and be a delicate lover. Feel your body with your hands. Touch your chest/breasts. Massage your genitals, rise slowly. Donít think about orgasm itself - instead think about the good moment youíre having while playing with your body and your fantasies. Enjoy it, try to give yourself some pleasure, make love to yourself, have sex with and for you alone and choose the fantasy that suits you better at every moment, mainly at this particular time.
Conclusions: Perhaps masturbation is the easiest way to obtain sexual pleasure, since it is not necessary anything or anyone else to practice it (the person himself has got everything that is necessary for self-satisfaction). Masturbation, nowadays, is held as an important element of sexual apprenticeship, since there is no scientific evidence that connects it with physical upheavals as consequence. In the past, masturbation was considered a male practice entirely, but it is evident that women have been making use of it as well. The shame that comes from masturbating is what really should be the reason for shame. Masturbation is liberating, funny, amusing and healthy. It has the blessing of the World Health Organization and sexual therapists recommend its practice. Self-satisfaction should be something commonly accepted and taught. The mind is the best aphrodisiac. Evidently, each person is responsible and free to make the most pertinent decisions concerning its own sexual life, since these decisions respect everyone else.
Misconceived ideas on masturbation: Masturbation is a way to get in touch with oneself pleasantly. The acceptance of pleasure as something positive is one of the pending subjects. It seems incredible that something as intimate as masturbation, which needs so few resources remains under the cloak of obscurity.
Copyright (c) About masturbation. All Masturbation resources.